Monday, July 2, 2007

Reading the News as a Spiritual Discipline

You'll notice I've added on the right side of the main blog screen a place for interesting websites and news articles concerning the situation here in Palestine and Israel. The Tabula Gaza blog is by an American citizen named Philip Rizk. Philip has been working in Gaza for the past couple years doing peace and conflict resolution work through the English Anglican church. He is currently working on a documentary on Palestinian nonviolence. I thought his insights and perspective would be good for those of you who are interested in what is happening in Gaza and the political scene here.

The issues here are really complicated and painful. I urge all of you to read many news sources (including those from outside the US) and keep an open mind to perspectives you don't understand. Even though I am here doing work in the West Bank, I don't completely understand the dynamics in Gaza and between the political factions at this time. We all have a lot to learn, myself included. As a friend recently wrote in an email to me, "I feel like it is becoming a spiritual discipline even to read the news these days, to choose to take in what is happening around the world, especially where you are."

2 comments:

Sawsan said...

I read the last post of the Tabula Gaza blog, about Alan Johnston's release, and I was so surprised to read his words about Hamas!! He said that Hamas were able to release Johnston while Abbas couldn't and that people are going out to beaches at Gaza because they are feeling that Hamas are bringing security to the area!!! I find these words so confusing.
You know, all this brought to my mind the news of the US war in Iraq. One hour, you would hear the Iraqi officials saying that we are controling the situation, and the next, you hear the Americans saying the same thing. It was all so perlexing!! I used to say over and over only God has the complete truth and I still say the same thing!!!

Unknown said...

Dear Sarah,
Thank you so much for writing though I know that your are admist a demanding schedule. It means so much to hear from you and be be able to share in your experiences even if it is from far away. I enjoyed reading your article for the CPT newsletter. It is true though isn't it. The media would chose to report on the violence instead of reconcilation. This way those of use away feel less responsible to be involved when situations feel hopeless. That is why the work you do is so crucial in so many avenues. You listen and you share the stories of hope despite immense obstacles.
Please keep writing (when you get a chance). I miss you and I can not wait to share a cup of tea and hear more of your stories when you get back.
Love Ash