Friday, April 16, 2010

Life Anew

I apologize for the tardiness of this update. I’ve been spending my time acclimating to life here, which has been exciting but also very tiring. Let’s see...where do I even begin?

I’ve felt extremely welcomed and taken care both by Tala and her aunt (who I’m living with) as well as by other friends and co-workers. Tala, who I met in 2007 while doing my masters at American University, often calls the United States her adopted home. I wouldn’t yet say the same about Palestine, but it is definitely a very comfortable and fascinating place for me. I feel a deep peace that this was the right move to make.

Since arriving in Palestine on Saturday, April 3, I’ve been all over the place:

• I went to Jerusalem for Easter Sunday. However, the visit was twinged with sadness, both because of Palestinian Christians being denied entry into the Church of the Holy Sepulcher the day before and because I wasn’t celebrating the day with my community at New Community Church.

• Thanks to a birthday present from Tala, I am now the proud member of a gym called Solo here in Ramallah. They offer you a free physical trainer every time you go, and Mike definitely kicks my ass…just give me a couple more months and I’ll be able to take on my mom in regards to her quads:) Seriously though, it’s been lovely to have a place to get my endorphins going and to develop a routine outside of work.

• I spent 5 days in the Hebron area meeting women and partners connected with a women’s center located in Dura (I’m doing a bit of work for the organization that supports the center). I felt really privileged to hear people’s stories, both their challenges surrounding occupation and cultural expectations and their hopes/dreams for the future. There’s a lot of energy amongst the women there and I’m excited to see the advances the center will make in the coming years. And the lovely family I stayed with must have slaughtered most of the animals in the Hebron area…I’ve never eaten so much meat in my life!

• This week was my first full week at my job at Ruwwad. I’ve been running around with my boss to different meetings around Ramallah and Jerusalem, and learning a lot from my coworkers in regards to their work with the concept and practice of youth empowerment, and in regards to language. I think that’s one of the reasons I’ve been so tired; I’m constantly soaking up new information and new Arabic words. My favorite new Arabic phrase is “Inta awta min ishafra alard,” which basically means “You’re scum.” And no, that statement wasn’t directed at me, but I will use it:)

• And finally, I went to Nablus last night, a city in the northern part of the West Bank. I’ve always wanted to go there as my Arabic teacher in the states grew up there and I’ve always heard Palestinians rave about the city’s famous sweet called kanafe. Tala and I perused their farmer’s market, paying only 60 shekels (about $20) for a ridiculous amount of fresh vegetables and fruit. The terrain of the city (hills and mountains) was breathtaking, and the kanafe was like a piece of heaven…Nablus could quickly become my favorite city in Palestine.

Hope you all are well. Please send me your news. And may God bless and challenge you and those with whom you’re living life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so thrilled for you as you're starting this new part of your life. And, after reading your blog, I'm even more excited for you...and this is just the beginning. Prayers and love to you!

amallama said...

sounds like a great start habibti! you are definitely meant to be where you are now. lets skype! xx

Unknown said...

We are so proud of you. It sounds like the place God wants you to be right now. How exciting. We are coming in October. Hope you will be there. I think our dates are Oct 12-21 or something like that.

Ed and Ginny